Thursday, April 16, 2015

Getting Inspired While Cooking


Recently I have been spending a lot of time at home. It seems like it would be lots of fun to not have a strict 9-5 and have all your own time to do the stuff you need to but mostly it just entails watching a lot of series on my laptop.  Needless to say I was in some dire need for inspiration and I found it in cooking, something I have always loved doing!

Don't get me wrong. Not all the food I cook is 'inspired' or particularly special but sometimes it's good to go a little overboard and when I made this particular dish it was one of those days.

Meatballs with Tomato sauce, roasted vegetables and Crunchy Salad 

Meatballs:
500g beef mince
1 egg
Salt and pepper
Fresh basil

In a bowl, combine all the ingredients and roll into ping pong sized balls and fry until cooked through and brown on the outside.

Tomato Sauce:
1 Tin chopped tomato
1 Clove garlic finely chopped
1 Handful of fresh basil chopped
1 Onion chopped
1 Punnet Mushrooms sliced

Fry the onions and mushrooms until they are soft. Throw in the tin of tomato with the chopped garlic and half the basil and simmer for at least 1 hour. Right before serving, throw in the meatballs and the rest of the basil, cook for another 10 minutes and serve. Adding cheese to this is really delicious too.

This is also really tasty with penne or rice, if it takes your fancy, otherwise it goes really well with some roasted veggies (butternut, cauliflower, sweet potato, courgettes, etc.) or a nice crunchy salad.




No comments:

Post a Comment